Gold FM Fire Call Out
✎ Edit Post
Posted October 30, 2019
Waihi Chief Fire Officer Moe Stevens said they had five callouts this week. The first was on Thursday 24 October at 12.30 am when an alarm went off at Rob Roy Hotel. This turned out to be a fault. Then at 1 pm the siren went off again for the Waihi Fire & Rescue Service to attend the old Pye building in upper Haszard St where a tenant had smelt smoke. Someone had started a fire at the rear of the building which the fire service put out.
On Saturday Oct 26 the firefighters had another early start at 12.30 am to Fishers Rd off Waihi Beach Rd where a house was full of smoke. It turned out to be a wheat bag that was in the microwave which had been on for about two hours rather than the two minutes it was supposed to be on for. The residents were very lucky that apart from the smoke there was no other damage. At 7 pm the same day the siren went off for a call out to Colbrook St off Waitete Rd. Wind had lifted part of a roof off. The Waihi Fire & Rescue secured the roof and also supplied some tarpaulins which the family and friends put up in the light of day.
On Monday 28 October the siren went just on 4 pm to a scrub fire on the Waihi to Whangamata road. What started out about the size of a rugby field grew to about 10 acres and was in difficult terrain. Crews from as far away as Tauranga, Hamilton and the surrounding area all attended along with those like Waihi with water tankers. A helicopter with monsoon bucket was also called in to make sure the fire didn’t get out of hand.
Hear the full Gold FM Fire Call Out by clicking our podcast link…