Gold FM

Search results: ''

News

News / Thames Coromandel Update with Thames Councillor Sally Christie

Thames Coromandel Update with Thames Councillor Sally Christie

Thames Coromandel Update with Thames Councillor Sally Christie

Posted September 29, 2020
Council Matters , Podcasts

Thames Coromandel District Councillor Sally Christie phoned Gold FM to update us on her district where council is all geared up to welcome visitors for the school holidays with plenty happening across the district for visitors and locals to enjoy.

School holiday programmes are going on at district libraries and the pool in Thames is open and heated regardless of the chill in the air.

Sally put her health hat on for a friendly reminder about practicing good hygiene, physical distancing, use of the covid tracker app - to stop the spread of COVID when you’re out and about enjoying all the great activities available on the Coromandel.

Sally also reminded everyone to be aware of the local road resealing programme which starts this week. “We have to do this ahead of summer and Labour weekend,” she said.

Brian asked Sally about Council’s Shoreline Management Plans. Sally explained that a Committee was formed as a standing committee of Council to provide management of the Shoreline Management Plan. This committee will be a co-management structure with iwi representatives from Pare Hauraki. There’s also Council’s elected member representatives.

Sally said she’s excited about four Coastal Panels, that will provide stakeholder feedback to the Committee. The panels started their orientation meetings last week, and will continue over the next month with iwi providing feedback from Thames and Thames Coast, Coromandel Town Coast to Kennedy Bay, Whangapoua Harbour and Mercury Bay and South-East Coast. The agenda for meetings and more information can be found on the council website: www.tcdc.govt.nz/smp.

There’s a lot of buzz going on in Thames around creating a vibe at the moment What’s happening, Brian asked? Sally explained that in the past fortnight a pop-up site encouraging people to share their thoughts on how the central part of town could be reimagined as a safer, more people-friendly space that locals and visitors will want to spend time in and come back to again and again has been ‘creating a vibe’.

The project HQ had 484 visitors over the two weeks from 7 to 19 September, and Council’s Create the Vibe – Thames survey had 272 responses.

This project is 90 per cent co-funded by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency ($320,125.50). The remaining 10 per cent ($35,569.50) is coming from Thames Community Board budgets. It’s part of Waka Kotahi’s Innovating Streets pilot programme, which is funding projects across New Zealand cities and towns aimed at creating people-friendly spaces.

Brian and Sally commented how Thames is another town worth a visit over the school holidays with great shopping, gold mining tours, the centennial swimming pool which is heated and a movie theatre too, offering plenty for everyone to see and do in their holidays.

Visit www.tcdc.govt.nz to keep up to date with the Thames Coromandel District and click on our podcast link to hear the full interview with Thames Councillor Sally Christie.