Fire destroys Waikino School Whare Manu area
✎ Edit Post
Posted November 17, 2020
Emergency Services ,
The Waikino School community is in shock after a fire destroyed an area of the school early on Monday morning. Brian Gentil spoke to Principal Jo Wheway who woke to hear the Waihi Fire & Rescue Service coming to put out the fire that engulfed Whare Manu, a special place within the school for fostering creativity and imagination a space the kids designed and helped to build themselves. It was not only the Whare Manu building structure and pizza oven that was damaged in the blaze - but many additional resources and equipment that Waikino School students use on a daily basis as part of their learning.
“We are going to just get ourselves back up,” Jo said. Waikino School will be working with their insurance company to see how they can help to rebuild.
Jo told Brian the fire came after they’d had such a great weekend using their pizza oven to offer pizza for sale for the recent garden ramble so she’s having to put her tough face on for the kids.
We’re definitely getting a great response from our community coming out to support us Jo said.
A Givealittle page has been started for the community to donate to.
Click on our podcast link to hear the interview with Waikino School Prinicpal Jo Wheway.