Toggle menu

Thames Hospital celebrates its 150th anniversary this weekend

Posted 2 November 2018 by Gold FM in History, Arts & Culture and Health

In its 15 decades of existence Thames Hospital has cared for the diggers of the goldfields and successive generations of the wider Coromandel and Thames Valley community. 

The diggers’ hospital in Thames was officially opened on 2 November 1868, and called “Thames Goldfield Hospital”.
Gold mining had been in full swing for just over a year and the town of Thames itself didn’t even exist – it wasn’t to be formed until 1873 when the settlements of Shortland and Grahamstown merged.

The hospital is one of the oldest operating in New Zealand and has been an enduring part of the Coromandel and Hauraki Plains community through natural disasters, war, epidemics, economic downturns and boom times
The hospital is a major employer in the district and dominates the skyline of Thames.

The history of the hospital has been chronicled in True Tales of Thames Hospital, 150 Years 1868 – 2018, written by a dedicated group of people with a connection to the hospital, both past and present.

“It was founded 150 years ago not because the government of the day thought there should be a hospital here – but because members of the community saw the need and got the job done, ” Mayor Sandra Goudie says.

Digging in the goldmines of “the Thames” was a dirty, noisy, dangerous business, local historian Kae Lewis writes in True Tales of Thames Hospital in her chapter on the establishment of the hospital.

The miners faced cave-ins, rocks falling from mines further up the hills, falls down shafts, and industrial-type accidents while tending the steam-powered stamper batteries that crushed the gold-containing ore.

There were also the illnesses present in any frontier settlement of the 1860s: typhoid fever, dysentery, tuberculosis, diphtheria, whooping cough and measles.
Severe cases were sent to hospital in Auckland by boat, and many didn’t survive the passage.

A committee was set up and began the task of fundraising. Ngati Maru donated a one-acre block of land – where the hospital is today located.

The hospital was opened at noon on 2 November, and was built, furnished and equipped at a cost of £230, all of it raised by the community, with no contribution from the central or provincial governments.

Digging in the goldmines of “the Thames” was a dirty, noisy, dangerous business, local historian Kae Lewis writes in True Tales of Thames Hospital in her chapter on the establishment of the hospital
The miners faced cave-ins, rocks falling from mines further up the hills, falls down shafts, and industrial-type accidents while tending the steam-powered stamper batteries that crushed the gold-containing ore.
There were also the illnesses present in any frontier settlement of the 1860s: typhoid fever, dysentery, tuberculosis, diphtheria, whooping cough and measles.
Severe cases were sent to hospital in Auckland by boat, and many didn’t survive the passage.

A committee was set up and began the task of fundraising. Ngati Maru donated a one-acre block of land – where the hospital is today located.

The hospital was opened at noon on 2 November, and was built, furnished and equipped at a cost of £230, all of it raised by the community, with no contribution from the central or provincial governments.

A book launch for True Tales of Thames Hospital is happening tonight at St George’s Hall, Mackay St, Thames.
6pm – registration and wine and cheese
7pm – Book launch
8pm – Social evening at Thames Hospital Boiler House Social Club.

Photos TCDC:
The diggers’ hospital in Thames was officially opened on 2 November 1868, and called “Thames Goldfield Hospital”.

Thames in 1868. The diggers' hospital is the building in the centre right enclosed by the square fence

Thames Hospital in 2018. Picture taken from around the same point as the one above from 150 years ago.